Baked Stuffed Herrings
|For the stuffing|
|Cooking apple||1 , very finely chopped or grated|
|Breadcrumbs||1 1⁄4 Tablespoon (1 Heaped Breadcrumbs)|
|Shredded suet||1 Ounce|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon||1 (For Garnish)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1. Preheat the oven at 380°F.
2. Tell your fishmonger to gut the herrings from the head end and make sure he does not slit the belly. Wash the fish and use a knife to scrape off the scales. Work from tail to head while scraping.
3. Finely mix all the ingredients together to make the filling.
4. Season and pack with stuffing in the fish’s cavity.
5. Take a well-buttered dish and place the stuffed fish in it. Cover with buttered paper and place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and dish up. Garnish lemon and parsley on the top.
7. Serve sautéed potatoes and grilled tomatoes together.