Sweet and Sour Jellied Fish
|Striped bass||3 Pound, head and tail removed|
|Onions||2 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Carrot||1 Large, pared and sliced|
|Mixed pickling spice||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|White vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Wipe fish with damp paper towels. Cut into 2-inch slices.
2. In 10-inch skillet, combine onion, carrot, salt, pepper, pickling spice, bay leaves and sugar with water.
3. Bring to boiling; simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Add vinegar.
4. Arrange fish on top; simmer, covered, 1 hour, basting occasionally, until fish flakes easily with fork.
5. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature in marinade—1/2 hour. Arrange fish on serving platter with sauce spooned over. Refrigerate, covered, 4 hours, until sauce has jelled.
6. Serve as an appetizer or entree.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1799 Calories from Fat 292
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g50%
Saturated Fat 7.1 g35.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1088.6 mg362.9%
Sodium 2949.1 mg122.9%
Total Carbohydrates 118 g39.2%
Dietary Fiber 11.6 g46.3%
Sugars 87.5 g
Protein 247 g493.3%
Vitamin A 267.7% Vitamin C 59.4%
Calcium 34.1% Iron 74.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet