Braised Fish Fillets
|Chinese dried mushrooms||4 Small|
|Fish fillets||12 Ounce (350 Gram)|
|Egg white||1⁄2 , lightly beaten|
|Cornflour paste/Cornstarch||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||1 Pint (600 Milliliter /2 1/2 Cups)|
|Finely chopped ginger root||1 Teaspoon|
|Spring onions||2 , finely chopped (Scallions)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Green bell pepper||1⁄2 Small, deseeded and cut into small cubes|
|Carrot||1⁄2 Small, thinly sliced|
|Canned sliced bamboo shoots||2 Ounce, rinsed and drained (60 Gram /1/2 Cup)|
|Light soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Rice wine/Dry sherry||1 Teaspoon|
|Chili bean sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Chinese stock/Water||3 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||3 Drop (A Few Drops)|
1. Soak the dried mushrooms in a bowl of warm water for 30 minutes. Drain the mushrooms thoroughly on paper towels, reserving the soaking water for stock or soup. Squeeze the mushrooms to extract all of the moisture, cut off and discard any hard stems and slice thinly.
2. Cut the fish into bite-sized pieces, then place in a shallow dish and mix with a pinch of salt, the egg white and cornflour (cornstarch) paste, turning the fish to coat well.
3. Heat the oil in a preheated wok. Add the fish pieces to the wok and deep-fry for about 1 minute. Remove the fish pieces with a slotted spoon and leave to drain on paper towels.
4. Pour off the excess oil, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the wok. Add the ginger, spring onions (scallions) and garlic to flavour the oil for a few-seconds, then add the (bell) pepper, carrots and bamboo shoots and stir-fry for about 1 minute.
5. Add the sugar, soy sauce, wine, chilli bean sauce, stock or water, and the remaining salt and bring to the boil. Add the fish pieces, stir to coat well with the sauce, and braise for 1 minute.
6. Sprinkle with sesame oil and serve immediately.