1) Peel tomatoes, slice and remove seeds.
2) Drain anchovy fillets and rinse in cold water to remove oil and salt.
3) Skin and crush garlic.
4) Place peppers under a hot broiler. Alternately pierce with fork and hold over a gas flame. Turn to char the skin till it becomes black.
5) Keep under cold running water and rub off the skin.
6) Trim the stalk ends and seeds from the peppers. Remove the white pith.
7) Make wide strips from the flesh.
8) Place on a flat serving dish pepper strips and sliced tomatoes.
9) Arrange anchovy fillets in a lattice pattern.
10) Mix garlic with oil.
11) Pour over salad and sprinkle lemon juice, salt, and very little freshly ground pepper on top.