Door County Fish Boil
|Red potatoes||12 Small (Unpeeled)|
|Salt||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Whitefish steaks||12 (2 Inch Thick)|
|Melted butter||1 Tablespoon|
1. Take a 5 gallon pot, add water and boil it. The water should be kept boiling till the dish is completely cooked.
2. For the penetration of flavor, cut off a small slice from potatoes’ ends. Add the potatoes with half the salt to boiling water and allow to cook for about 20 minutes or till potatoes turn fork done.
3. Add rest of the salt along with whitefish and cook for 8 to 10 minutes till fish starts pulling away from the bone when lifted using a fork, but are still firm.
4. Take fish and cooked potatoes out from water. Drain off excess water.
5. Serve hot with lemon and melted butter.
1. If there is no removable basket in the pot for draining, make two cheesecloth bags – one for potatoes and one for fish. Or, you can drain over the sink, in a colander.