|Herrings||6 (Backbones Removed)|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 300°F, Gas Mark 2.
2) Place the herrings with their skin sides on a working surface.
3) Put sliced onion on the middle of each fish.
4) Make rolls out of the fish and support with wooden toothpicks.
5) Take an ovenproof dish and keep the fish rolls on it and cover with vinegar and water taken in the ratio three to one.
6) Put the herbs, spices and salt into this.
7) Cover the dish and heat in the oven for 3 hours till the fish is cooked; yet not allowing the liquid to boil.
8) Take a serving dish and shift the cooked fish to it and strain over the cooking liquid.
9) Allow to cool till the liquid attains the consistency of a jelly.
10) Serve with potato and cucumber salads after garnishing with black olives and pickled cucumber slices.