Chicken with Anchovy Sauce
|Chicken||3 Pound, jointed (1.5 Kilogram)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Dry white wine||4 Fluid Ounce (125 Milliliter)|
|White wine vinegar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken stock||4 Fluid Ounce (125 Milliliter)|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Slivered black olives||1 Tablespoon|
|Flat anchovy fillets||3 , rinsed in cold water, dried and chopped|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
1. Wash chicken under cold running water, then pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper. Season to taste with black pepper.
2. Heat oil in a heavy-based frypan and cook chicken a few pieces at a time, until brown on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside. Drain off pan juices and discard.
3. Add onion and garlic to pan and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in wine and vinegar, bring to the boil and simmer until reduced to 3 tablespoons.
4. Pour in chicken stock and boil stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Return chicken to the pan, add oregano and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
5. Remove chicken pieces from pan and set aside to keep warm. Remove and discard bay leaf, bring stock to the boil and boil until slightly thickened. Stir in olives, anchovies and parsley and cook for 1 minute longer, then spoon over chicken.