Malayali Fish Curry Meen Vevichathu
|Large fish||500 Gram (Like Pomfret, Mullet, Beckti, Hilsa, Salmon)|
|Red chilies||20 Gram|
|Turmeric piece||1 Small|
|Red onion||4 Small (Bulbs)|
|Ginger piece||1⁄2 Inch|
|Kokum||20 Gram (Kudampuli)|
|Coconut oil||30 Milliliter|
1. Clean and cut fish into 2.5 cm. (1") slices or steaks.
2. Roast or dry heat red chillies, coriander and turmeric.
3. Powder fine and grind to a smooth paste with onions and garlic.
4. Soak cocum in a fittle water.
5. Chop ginger into fine pieces.
6. In a heavy bottomed stainless steel pan, first put in curry leaves and half the cocum broken into small pieces.
7. Mix together ground paste, fish and salt.
8. Arrange in the stainless steel pan with the remaining cocum pieces and chopped ginger.
9. Pour water to three-fourth level of fish.
10. Bring to boil on a quick fire and simmer till fish is tender.
11. Pour fresh coconut oil over and remove from fire.
12. Cool and cover. This can be kept for 2 days. If kept for longer period, reheat with a little water and a pinch of salt each day.