Mathi Vattichathu Sardines Cooked Dry
|Fenugreek seeds||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Button onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon, julienned|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed/sliced/chopped|
|Coconut oil/Any refined vegetable oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Kokum||3 , washed, soaked and shredded in water|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Clean the sardines in salted water. Make a slit on the side and remove the inside portion of each fish. Make gashes on both sides of the fish.
2. Coarsely grind ingredients 1 to 8 and keep aside.
3. Mix the ground ingredients with coconut oil, shredded cocum and salt.
4. Grease an earthenware vessel with coconut oil and layer the fish and the mixed masala alternately; finish with a layer of masala on top.
5. Add water to cook the fish and bring to boil.
6. Simmer over low heat till dry.
Calories 436 Calories from Fat 318
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g54.8%
Saturated Fat 25.8 g128.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 117.6 mg39.2%
Sodium 337.3 mg14.1%
Total Carbohydrates 9 g2.9%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.5%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 23 g46.7%
Vitamin A 14.4% Vitamin C 69.5%
Calcium 25.3% Iron 11.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet