|Cold water||3 Quart|
|Salt herring||2 , cleaned and cut into fillets|
|Cider vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Pour 3 qts. cold water into a large bowl.
2. Put herring into the water. Set aside to soak 3 hrs.
3. Clean onion and thinly slice.
4. Separate onion slices into rings.
5. Mix cider vinegar, water, peppercorns, and bay leaf together.
6. Drain herring and cut into 2-in. square pieces. Put a layer of herring into a shallow bowl and top with some of the onion rings. Repeat layers of herring and onion. Pour over the vinegar-water mixture. Chill thoroughly in refrigerator several hours or overnight to blend flavors.
7. When ready to serve, drain off liquid. Toss herring and onion lightly to mix and put into a serving bowl. Garnish with sprigs of parsley.