|Cold water||3 Quart|
|Salt herring||2 , cleaned and cut into fillets|
|Cider vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Pour 3 qts. cold water into a large bowl.
2. Put herring into the water. Set aside to soak 3 hrs.
3. Clean onion and thinly slice.
4. Separate onion slices into rings.
5. Mix cider vinegar, water, peppercorns, and bay leaf together.
6. Drain herring and cut into 2-in. square pieces. Put a layer of herring into a shallow bowl and top with some of the onion rings. Repeat layers of herring and onion. Pour over the vinegar-water mixture. Chill thoroughly in refrigerator several hours or overnight to blend flavors.
7. When ready to serve, drain off liquid. Toss herring and onion lightly to mix and put into a serving bowl. Garnish with sprigs of parsley.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 562 Calories from Fat 166
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g28.4%
Saturated Fat 4.2 g21.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 120 mg40%
Sodium 318.2 mg13.3%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.2%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.3%
Sugars 14.2 g
Protein 39 g78.9%
Vitamin A 5.1% Vitamin C 41.6%
Calcium 29.6% Iron 20.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet