|Sifted all purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Flaked cooked fish||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Cod, Trout, Fillet Of Sole, Whitefish)|
|Egg yolk||1 , beaten|
|Eggs||2 , slightly beaten|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Set out a deep saucepan or automatic deep-fryer and heat fat to 350 °F.
2. Heat butter over low heat in a saucepan.
3. Blend in flour, salt and pepper.
4. Heat until mixture bubbles. Add cream gradually, stirring constantly.
5. Cook rapidly, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; cool.
6. Meanwhile, flake finely enough cooked fish to yield 3 cups.
7. When sauce is cool, blend in the fish and 1 egg yolk.
8. Shape mixture into balls 1 in. in diameter. Dip balls into 2 eggs.
9. To coat evenly, roll balls in bread crumbs.
10. Deep-fry Fish Balls in heated fat. Deep-fry only as many balls at one time as will float uncrowded one-layer deep in the fat. Turn balls often. Deep-fry 2 min., or until lightly browned. Drain; remove to absorbent paper.
11. Keep Fish Balls warm for the smorgasbord.