Piquant Marinated Fish
|Whitefish fillets/Pompano / mackerel fillets||1 Pound, skinned (450 Gram)|
|Tomato||1 Medium, peeled, seeded, diced|
|Fresh jalapeno pepper||3 , seeded, finely chopped|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoons)|
|Drained capers||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (2 Milliliter)|
|Dried oregano||1⁄4 Teaspoon (1 Milliliter)|
|Ripe avocado||1⁄2 (Firm)|
1. Cut fish fillets into 1/2 inch (1.3-cm) square pieces.
2. Squeeze limes to yield 3/4 cup (180 mL) juice.
3. Combine fish and lime juice in medium glass bowl (not metal or plastic); mix well. Refrigerate, covered, stirring gently occasionally, until fish becomes firm and opaque, at least 4 hours. (The acid of the lime juice "cooks" the fish.)
4. About 1 1/2 hours before serving, add tomato, chilies, oil, capers, salt and oregano to fish mixture; mix gently. Refrigerate, covered, until serving time.
5. At serving time, pare avocado; cut lengthwise into 4 to 6 slices. Cut onion into thin slices.
6. Arrange onion slices around edge of 4 to 6 large scallop shells or individual serving plates. Spoon fish mixture with slotted spoon into center of each shell. Garnish with avocado slices; serve with lime wedges.