Fish And Vegetables Gratin
|Frozen flounder/Sole/ocean-perch fillets||16 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Celery stalks||2 Medium|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chicken flavor bouillon cube/Envelope||1|
|Frozen mixed vegetables||10 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Italian bread loaf||1 Small|
|Monterey jack cheese||1⁄4 Pound, shredded|
1. Let frozen fish fillets stand at room temperature 15 minutes to thaw slightly.
2. Meanwhile, slice celery. Dice zucchini, potato, and onion.
3. In 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. In hot butter or margarine, cook celery, zucchini, potato, and onion until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add water, wine, salt, Worcestershire, and bouillon; over high heat, heat to boiling.
4. With serrated knife, cut block of frozen fish fillets into 1-inch chunks. Add fish and frozen mixed vegetables to mixture in saucepan; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork and vegetables are tender.
5. While fish mixture is simmering, preheat oven to 450°F. Cut four 1/2 inch-thick slices from Italian bread (reserve remaining bread to serve another day). Place bread slices in jelly-roll pan; toast bread in oven, about 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove pan from oven; set aside.
6. When fish mixture is done, ladle into four 12-ounce oven-safe bowls. Place a toasted bread slice on top of mixture in each bowl.Sprinkle each bread slice with 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Arrange bowls in jelly-roll pan for easier handling. Bake until shredded cheese melts and is lightly browned, about 3 minutes.