Yangzhou Style Deep Fried Pork And Fish Squares
|Sweet and pungent sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lean pork||1⁄2 Pound|
|Smoked ham||1⁄2 Pound|
|Flounder fillets||1⁄2 Pound|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
1. Prepare a sweet and pungent sauce Keep warm.
2. Cut pork and ham in 1/16 inch slices, then in 2 inch squares.
3. Cut flounder in 2 inch squares. Sprinkle with soy sauce and pepper.
4. Blend cornstarch and cold water to a paste. Separate eggs: reserve whites; beat yolks lightly, then mix with cornstarch paste to a smooth batter.
5. Dip pork, fish and ham squares alternately into batter and stack together in units of three. (The egg yolks will make them adhere.) Meanwhile, heat oil.
6. Dredge each stack lightly with flour and dip in reserved egg whites. Then add to oil, a few pieces at a time, and deep fry until golden. Drain on paper toweling.