Yangzhou Style Deep Fried Pork And Fish Squares
|Sweet and pungent sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lean pork||1⁄2 Pound|
|Smoked ham||1⁄2 Pound|
|Flounder fillets||1⁄2 Pound|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
1. Prepare a sweet and pungent sauce Keep warm.
2. Cut pork and ham in 1/16 inch slices, then in 2 inch squares.
3. Cut flounder in 2 inch squares. Sprinkle with soy sauce and pepper.
4. Blend cornstarch and cold water to a paste. Separate eggs: reserve whites; beat yolks lightly, then mix with cornstarch paste to a smooth batter.
5. Dip pork, fish and ham squares alternately into batter and stack together in units of three. (The egg yolks will make them adhere.) Meanwhile, heat oil.
6. Dredge each stack lightly with flour and dip in reserved egg whites. Then add to oil, a few pieces at a time, and deep fry until golden. Drain on paper toweling.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2537 Calories from Fat 841
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 94 g145.1%
Saturated Fat 22.6 g113.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 850.3 mg283.4%
Sodium 5814.1 mg242.3%
Total Carbohydrates 257 g85.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.6%
Sugars 112.3 g
Protein 140 g279.4%
Vitamin A 12.4% Vitamin C 17.5%
Calcium 15.6% Iron 71.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet