Peppers Stuffed With Fish
|Green peppers||2 Large|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Chopped celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Tomato juice||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cooked fish||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tabasco sauce||1 Dash|
|Dry crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), buttered|
1. Cut large peppers in half lengthwise, or cut a slice from stem ends of small ones. Remove seeds. Boil in salted water until almost tender; drain.
2. Preheat oven to moderate (375° F.).
3. Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and celery leaves and saute until tender. Blend in the flour, add the milk and cook, stirring, until thickened.
4. Add the fish and rice and season to taste with salt and Tabasco. Pile the mixture into peppers and sprinkle with buttered crumbs.
5. Arrange the peppers in a shallow baking dish, adding water barely to cover the bottom of the dish. Bake until the crumbs are brown, about twenty minutes.