Baked Acorn Squash with Meat Filling
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), split|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped|
|Ground chuck||1 Pound|
|Whole tomatoes||1 Can (10 oz), drained|
|Cooked white rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dried oregano leaves||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated sharp cheddar cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 375F.
2) Rinse the squash clean. Slice them into long halves. Using a spoon, deseed the squash and remove the fibrous string.
3) Arrange the squash, with their skin side up, in a shallow, baking dish.
4) Pour hot water to cover 1/2 inch of the dish.
5) Bake the squash for 30 minutes.
6) In a large skillet, melt butter. Add in the garlic and saute till they change colour. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon and discard them.
7) Into the same butter, add in the chopped onions. Saute till they become a light golden colour.
8) Next, add in the ground chuck. Using a fork, break apart the chuck while mixing it around the same time.
9) Continue to cook the meat for about 8 minutes till the meat changes colour.
10) Stir in the drained, whole tomatoes, cooked rice, oregano and salt.
11) Overturn the squash halves in the baking dish. Spoon about a cup of the chuck mixture into the cavity of each squash half.
12) Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of grated cheese over each squash.
13) Return the dish to the oven and bake for 20 more minutes.
14) Broil the squash halves for a few minutes till the cheese starts to bubble and turn brown.
15) Serve the Baked Acorn Squash With Meat Filling garnished with chopped parsley.
Calories 497 Calories from Fat 262
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g45.9%
Saturated Fat 15 g75.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 95.2 mg31.7%
Sodium 638 mg26.6%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g17%
Sugars 4.2 g
Protein 20 g40%
Vitamin A 27.8% Vitamin C 42.7%
Calcium 18.4% Iron 17.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet