Eggplant Rollatini with Spinach and Cheese Filling
|Tomato sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Sufficient To Pour On Rollatini)|
|Spinach||1 Pound, stems discarded|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Garlic clove||2 Large, minced|
|Olive oil||5 Tablespoon|
|Feta cheese||2 Ounce|
|Low fat cottage cheese/Skim ricotta||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely chopped walnuts||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs)|
|Whole wheat bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Minced parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground fennel/Cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Eggplants||2 Medium, washed|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Place a steamer basket within a pot and fill with water sufficient to touch basket bottom. Add spinach and steam, covered, for 2 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.
3. Squeeze excess water from cooled spinach with cheesecloth or just press it down the colander gently.
4. In a sautÃ© pan, add 2 tablespoon olive oil and sautÃ© onions and garlic to soft. Mix in cooked spinach along with cheeses, egg whites, walnuts, spices, parsley, and breadcrumbs.
5. Using a wooden spoon, blend all the ingredients thoroughly by stirring constantly.
6. Broil thinly lengthwise sliced eggplants, brushed with olive oil, on the middle rack of the oven and broil for 3 minutes or until the top turns slightly brown.
7. Take out of the oven, and allow them to steam and then cool, by covering them with a plastic wrap.
8. Add 2 to 3 tablespoon filling to the narrow end of cooled eggplant slices, roll up, and arrange in the baking dish with seam side down.
9. Pour tomato sauce over each roll and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until sauce starts bubbling.
10. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese atop Eggplant Rollatini with Spinach and Cheese Filling, garnish with olive slices and parsley, and serve immediately.