Potato Cases With Shiitake And Morel Filling
|Baking potatoes||80 Ounce (About 5 Inches Long And 2 Inches Wide, 8 In Number 10 Ounce Each)|
|Dried morels||1⁄2 Ounce|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon, melted, preferably clarified|
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), sliced|
|Shiitake mushrooms||3⁄4 Pound, stemmed, caps cut crosswise into slices and then halved|
|Dry white wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Or Canned Broth)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Minced parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1. With a paring knife, trim the potatoes to make straight-sided rectangular boxes (3 by 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches). Holding a paring knife vertically, cut completely around the inside of the potato box, leaving a shell 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Insert the paring knife horizontally 1/8 to 1/4 inch from the bottom of the box. Without enlarging the cut, work the knife back and forth in a swiveling motion to loosen the inside piece. If necessary, insert the paring knife in several different spots. Keep the potato cases submerged in cool water while you make the filling.
2. Preheat the oven to 450°. Soak the morels in 2 cups of hot water until softened, about 10 minutes. Remove the morels, squeezing gently. Strain the soaking liquid through a double layer of dampened cheesecloth into a small saucepan. Rinse the morels and trim. Chop coarsely and add to the saucepan. Boil gently until the liquid is completely absorbed, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, pat the potato cases dry and brush completely with the butter. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown, turning the cases on a different side every 5 minutes.
4. In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderately high heat until light golden, about 1 minute. Add the morels and the shiitakes. Cook, stirring, until the shiitakes are softened, about 2 minutes.
5. Add the wine and stock and cook over moderately high heat until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Stir in the cream and boil until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Keep warm.
6. To serve, season the potato cases lightly with salt. Stir the parsley into the filling. (If the filling is too thick, stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons additional cream, stock or water.) Place 2 potato cases on each serving plate. Spoon filling into each potato and serve.
Calories 758 Calories from Fat 230
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.3%
Saturated Fat 9.5 g47.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 44 mg14.7%
Sodium 307.9 mg12.8%
Total Carbohydrates 121 g40.2%
Dietary Fiber 9.8 g39.3%
Sugars 7.2 g
Protein 15 g30.1%
Vitamin A 16.1% Vitamin C 66%
Calcium 10.6% Iron 31.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet