Chili Meat Filling
|Lard/Vegetable oil||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Boneless pork shoulder/Beef chuck||1 Pound, cut into 1/2 inch / 1.3 centimeter cubes (450 Gram)|
|Water||375 Milliliter (1 1/2 Cups)|
|Dried cascabel chilies/2 dried ancho chilies||6|
|Boiling water||250 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Chopped white onion||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
1. Melt lard in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add meat; cook, stirring occasionally, until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove and discard all fat.
2. Add 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water to pan. Heat to simmering; reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, until meat is tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Cool completely.
3. Meanwhile, seed and de-vein chilies; place in small bowl. Add boiling water; let stand 30 minutes.
4. Drain chilies well. Combine chilies, onion, garlic and salt in blender container; process until smooth. If needed, add cooking liquid from meat, 1 tablespoon (15 mL) at a time, to make smooth puree.
5. Drain meat; return to pan. Add chili puree. Cook and stir over medium heat until sauce is thickened and coats meat heavily, about 10 minutes.