Deep-Fried Fillet Of Cod In Beer Batter
|For the fillets|
|Cod fillets/Haddock fillets||175 Gram (2 fillets)|
|Plain flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|For the beer batter|
|Plain flour||200 Gram|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Dark beer||300 Milliliter|
|For the pea puree|
|Frozen peas||250 Gram (Minted peas used)|
|Vegetable stock||75 Milliliter|
|For frying the fillets|
|Vegetable oil||3 Cup (48 tbs) (As needed for deep frying)|
|Lemon wedges||4 Medium (As needed)|
1. Put the flour into a shallow dish. Season the flour with sea salt and freshly milled black pepper. Set aside.
2. Make the Beer Batter and allow it to stand for 30–40 minutes.
To prepare pea puree (to serve with the fish fillets):
3. In a heated medium-sized saucepan, melt butter. Add shallots and let cook until soft, but not colored.
4. Add the peas and vegetable stock.
5. Season to taste. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for about 12–15 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat and, using a potato masher, mash the peas until it's a paste. Set aside.
7. Heat enough vegetable oil in a deep pan or wok to deep fry to the temperature of about 180 C.
8. Pass the fish fillets through the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess, and then into the batter. Make sure the fish is well coated with the batter. (Hold the fillets over the bowl for a few moments to allow any excess batter to run off)
9. Carefully lower the fillets into the hot oil.
10. Fry for about 5 minutes, when the batter should be crisp and golden, turning from time to time. (The frying time will depend on the thickness of the fillets)
11. Once done, carefully remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
12. Serve the fish warm with a portion of pea pureé. Garnish with wedges of lemon and serve immediately.
To make the pea puree, if you can’t find frozen minted peas, just add 3–4 fresh mint leaves to your saucepan. Remember to remove the leaves before mashing.
Calories 1052 Calories from Fat 405
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.7%
Saturated Fat 11.4 g56.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64.5 mg21.5%
Sodium 814.9 mg34%
Total Carbohydrates 120 g40%
Dietary Fiber 9.4 g37.6%
Sugars 6.4 g
Protein 30 g60.6%
Vitamin A 61.5% Vitamin C 58.5%
Calcium 44.5% Iron 20.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet