Pinakbet - Northern Filipino Vegetable Stew
|For the pinakbet|
|Minced garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Chinese eggplant||1 Medium, quartered and cut into bite size pieces|
|Red onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Kabocha||1 Small, cut into bite sized pieces|
|Long bean||1⁄2 Bunch (50 gm), cut into 3-inch sections|
|Bitter melon||1 Medium, cut lengthwise|
|Tomatoes||2 Small, coarsely chopped|
|Shrimp paste||4 Tablespoon (Bagoong - Filipino fermented shrimp paste used)|
|Pork||8 Ounce, bite sized pieces (6 to 8 Oz of left over roasted pork (lechon) used)|
|To prepare the eggplant and bitter melon|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (As required for the vegetables)|
1. Take one bitter melon, cut it lengthwise and scoop out the insides. Take a couple of pinches of salt and sprinkle all over the inside of that bitter melon. This would draw out the bitterness from the melon.
2. Quarter and coarsely chop the eggplant and salt them as well. This would draw out the excess moisture from the eggplant.
3. Set the prepared bitter melon and chopped eggplant aside for about 20 minutes or so.
4. In a large pot, heat up some oil over medium heat and add 4 cloves of minced garlic. Stir fry till lightly gold in color.
5. Add the eggplant and chopped red onion. Stir and continue to cook until the onion turns translucent and the eggplant begins to take on some color.
6. Add the rest of the vegetables in layers, starting with the kabocha pieces, the cut long beans pieces, bitter melon and a couple of chopped tomatoes.
7. Add to that 4 tablespoons of bagoong, 200 milliliters (or a cup ) of water, cover it and let it cook for a few minutes.
8. Add about 6 to 8 ounces of left over roasted pork. Let the liquid come to a boil, cover the pot, turn down the heat to medium low and let it simmer for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
9. Serve warm with rice.
Pinakbet, vegetable stew is either cooked with meat or prawn or even pork.
Calories 179 Calories from Fat 57
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.9%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 37.4 mg12.5%
Sodium 298.9 mg12.5%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.7%
Dietary Fiber 6.5 g25.9%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 15 g30.5%
Vitamin A 26.2% Vitamin C 98.6%
Calcium 5.2% Iron 8.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet