There are several ways and types of cooking mung bean (monggo). Mung beans are traditionally used in East Asian cuisines. They are a healthy and inexpensive addition to any diet. This soup is delicious, healthy and easy and a great idea to use a rather under-rated smelly fruit! Made with whole mung beans, unripe jackfruit, onion, garlic, ginger and green chili, this soup is rather unique but very yummy. It is a must try recipe for those who love mung beans.
1 Cup (16 tbs)
250 Gram (Optional)
20 Gram, thinly sliced (1 thumb size piece)
5 Medium, minced
1 Medium, thinly sliced
Green chili peppers
1 1⁄2 Tablespoon
1 1⁄2 Liter
1 Teaspoon (to taste)
Ground black pepper
1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)
1. Wash and clean the mung beans thoroughly.
2. Boil them in a 1 liter of water for 20 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in a casserole or saucepan.
4. Saute the garlic, onion, ginger and pork meat if using. Cover and cook until meat is tender.
5. Add the cooked mung beans, water and jackfruit. Bring to a boil and then simmer until jackfruit is tender.
6. Season the soup with salt & ground pepper (or stock cubes).
7. Add the green chili peppers and simmer for 1 minute.
8. Ladle into soup bowls and serve hot with crusty bread or serve over rice.