Filipino Banana Spring Rolls - Turon
|Spring roll wrappers||100 Gram|
|Ripe bananas||2 Medium|
|Brown sugar||4 Tablespoon|
|Eggs||2 Medium, beaten|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
1. Take a ripe banana, skin it, cut it into half and then cut lengthwise. Keep this aside.
2. Take two small bowls, in one set a beaten egg aside and in the other keep some brown sugar ready for use.
3. Lay down the wrapper in a diamond shape. Put one cut piece of banana across the center just below the halfway point. Spoon some of the sugar on to the banana and start rolling the wrapper from the bottom corner. As you roll up fold over the side corners and continue rolling until you reach the top. Seal the end with the beaten egg.
4. In a frying pan heat oil to 375 F, and deep fry the prepared rolls.
5. Serve the rolls with a scoop of ice cream.
Different variations of this recipe can be made. One of them can be done using peanut butter spread in the wrapper and keeping some cut banana pieces with brown sugar. The brown sugar can be replaced with chocolate mars bars too.
Traditionally Turon is made with saba bananas and jack fruit though other fillings like mangoes and sweet potatoes can be used as well.
Calories 223 Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.4%
Saturated Fat 1.4 g7.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 93.1 mg31%
Sodium 31 mg1.3%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.5%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 15.8 g
Protein 4 g8.4%
Vitamin A 2.1% Vitamin C
Calcium 1.2% Iron 2.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet