Filipino Chicken Adobo Recipe - Adobong Manok
|Whole chicken||1 Medium, cut into pieces (Skinned)|
|Coconut milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Red thai chili||1 Medium, sliced|
|Soy sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cane vinegar||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs)|
|Bay leaf||1 Medium|
|Peppercorns||12 Medium, crushed|
|Steamed rice||3 Cup (48 tbs) (2-3 cups)|
1. In a large pot or dutch oven, heat up some oil and put the chicken pieces cooking briefly until lightly brown.
2. Once the chicken is browned, add one cup of the coconut milk. When the milk comes to a boil, turn down the heat to a medium low, cover and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
3. After 10 minutes, remove the lid and add one red Thai chili, soy sauce, cane vinegar, a bay leaf and the crushed peppercorns. Cover and let it simmer for another 10 minutes until the chicken is tender.
4. Once the chicken is tender, take the cover off and let it cook till the sauce reduces slightly from a third to a half.
5. Give it a taste and season with salt and pepper.
6. Once done, take out the chicken pieces into a serving dish, leaving the remaining sauce in the pot. Add 2 to 3 cups of steamed rice to the pot, mix well till every grain of rice is well flavored with the coconut adobo sauce.
7. Press some of the flavored rice in a mold to shape it round and serve it along with the chicken cooked in the coconut sauce.
8. Serve the chicken adobo warm.
Calories 6 Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.02 g0.04%
Saturated Fat 0 g0.02%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 600.4 mg25%
Total Carbohydrates 0.95 g0.32%
Dietary Fiber 0.13 g0.54%
Sugars 0.2 g
Protein 0.69 g1.4%
Vitamin A 0.2% Vitamin C 0.13%
Calcium 0.3% Iron 1.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet