This Ridiculously delicious and easy chicken tinola recipe comes from my childhood. The signature taste is humble and comes from simple ingredients like ginger and fish sauce. This is Filipino comfort food.
2 Tablespoon, peeled, cut into thin slices & slivered
5 Clove (25 gm), minced finely
1 Medium, cut into pieces
1 Medium, wedged into 5 pieces
1 Medium, cut into bite sized pieces (Peeled and seeded)
Fresh spinach/Chili leaf
1 Bunch (100 gm)
1 Medium, diced
To Taste (Fish sauce)
1. In a large pot heat up some cooking oil, add the ginger, garlic and onion. Sate for a few minutes.
2. Add the chicken pieces and cook it briefly till the surface turns opaque.
3. Then add the tomatoes. Once the tomatoes cook a little add 2 liters of water and stir. Set the heat down to medium, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes till the chicken gets tender.
4. Give the chicken broth a taste and add salt if required only. (Fish sauce gives enough salt to the dish). Add the fish sauce, stir and the chayotes and stir it again.
5. Now add the leaves and cover the lid on and simmer for a couple of minutes till the leaves wilt.
6. Serve warm as a soup or over some steamed rice.
Using a spoon or a ladle, skim out any foam of fat settling on the surface of the chicken broth around the edges.
This Filipino Chicken Tinola recipe is a one of its kind. This most popular Pinoy dish is a must-try for soup lovers. Those who love a hearty soup to warm the toes on a cold night, should give this recipe a try.