In this episode of, "A Cooking Video" I will show you how to make Beef Mechado. It's a Filipino style beef stew with a tomato base. It's one of my favorite comfort foods. This takes takes some time to make but you can either make this in a crock pot while you're at work or in a pressure cooker if you want to make it fast. So get ready for another great recipe!
2 Tablespoon (For sauteing)
4 Clove (20 gm), chopped
1 Large, sliced
2 Pound, cubed
1 Can (10 oz)
2 Medium, cut into big pieces
3 Medium, cut into big pieces
2 Medium (Optional)
1. Take a large pot and heat it with some oil. Add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes. Then add the onions.
2. Add the meat and turn the heat to high to sear the meat. Brown the meat on all the sides.
3. Once the meat is browned, add the wine while the pot is hot and stir to deglaze and scrape the fond off the bottom.
4. Add the can of tomatoes and check the consistency. If it is too thick add a little bit of water. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to a medium. Cover and let it simmer till the meat is tender. This would take about 60 to 90 minutes.
5. After 90 minutes, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, the lemon slice and bay leaves. Also add the root vegetables such as carrots and potatoes. Cover and simmer till the root vegetables are done.
If you have ever been to a Filipino gathering, you will know that there are a few of the regular favorite items that are always there, like this one. Watch this video to learn how to make Mechado the popular Filipino Beef and tomato stew with a tomato base. It’s ideal for large gatherings and though it takes a long time to cook, it doesn’t have you slaving in the kitchen for hours. You can let the stew cook in a crockpot or cooker while you spend your time doing other things!