A Really Humble Filipino Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe (Sotanghon)
|Dried shiitake mushroom||4 Medium, sliced thinly (Reconstituted in boiling water for about 10 minutes)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, diced|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Cabbage||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), shredded|
|Carrot||2 Medium, julienned|
|Homemade chicken stock||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Annatto seeds||2 Tablespoon|
|Sotanghon noodles||125 Gram|
|Rotisserie chicken||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Left over chicken used)|
|Fish sauce||1 Teaspoon (Patis)|
|Salt||To Taste (Optional)|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Green onions||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely (To garnish)|
1. In a bowl reconstitute the dried shiitake mushrooms by soaking it in boiling water for 10 minutes.
2. Once done, slice them thinly and discard the woody stalk in the middle.
3. In a pot heated with some oil, add in the onions, minced garlic and stir. When the onions turn translucent add the shredded cabbage and carrots.
4. Add the sliced shiitake mushrooms into the pot along with the other vegetables.
5. To this add the homemade chicken stock.
6. Take a small strainer and put the Annatto seeds in it and dip it into the steaming broth and shake it till the desired color of the stock is achieved. Allow it to simmer for a few minutes to develop the flavors.
7. Add the Sotanghon noodles and the left over rotisserie chicken. Season it with some fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for a couple of minutes and turn off the heat.
6. Serve warm garnished with finely chopped green onions.
Calories 563 Calories from Fat 236
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.8%
Saturated Fat 6.3 g31.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 76.5 mg25.5%
Sodium 1008.1 mg42%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.6%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g13.9%
Sugars 9.8 g
Protein 27 g53.1%
Vitamin A 111.1% Vitamin C 31.5%
Calcium 8.8% Iron 14.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet