What is the first thing that you think about when you hear the words “Spicy Dilis”? Are you thinking of the pre-packaged spicy dried anchovies sold in sari-sari stores? Yes, the ones with red coating. I am a big fan of this stuff; I’m not sure if you are. I know that eating those packaged anchovies is scary, but I still did because I love the taste.
2 Cup (32 tbs) (Dilis)
Hot chili sauce
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
2 Cup (32 tbs)
1. Heat a cooking pot and pour-in cooking oil.
2. When the oil becomes hot, deep-fry the dried anchovies for 2 to 3 minutes or until the color turns light brown.
3. Turn-off heat and remove the fried anchovies from the cooking pot. Set aside.
4. Combine fried anchovies, ketchup, and hot chili sauce then mix well.
5. Add brown sugar and mix until all the anchovies are coated.
6. Heat the same cooking pot with the remaining cooking oil and fry the coated anchovies for 2 minutes or until the texture becomes crunchy but not burnt.
7. Remove the anchovies and transfer to a serving plate.