Ginataang Alimasag are Crabs cooked in Coconut Milk. This recipe features the use of spinach and Thai chili as a replacement for Malunggay. Squash and string beans (kalabasa and sitaw) can also be placed instead of Spinach (or Malunggay).
Before cooking this dish, please make sure that enough rice is available€¦trust me on this
1 Teaspoon, mince
1 Medium, mince
1 Small, strips
4 Cup (64 tbs)
Ground black pepper
1 Bunch (100 gm)
1. In a large pot saute onion, garlic and ginger with cooking oil.
2. Add the ground pepper, coconut milk and bring it to a boil.
3. Add the shrimps paste and fish sauce, stir well, simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the coconut milk thickens and the oil is visible on the surface.
4. Add thai chilies and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add the crab and evenly coat them with the coconut milk.
6. Simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Add spinach and simmer for 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
8. Serve with steamed rice
If crabs were steamed prior to cooking, 5 to 8 minutes is enough cooking time.