1. Allow the meat to come to room temperature before all else. About an hour on the counter will do the trick.
2. Season all sides generously – and make it rain with the salt especially.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
4. Get a cast-iron or stainless steel (nonstick won’t give you the sear you’re looking for) oven-proof skillet going over high heat. When it’s super-hot and starts to smoke a little, add the oil.
5. Drop the steaks into the pan and sear each side for about 2 minutes until you get a rich, brown crust on all sides. Use tongs to turn the meat.
6. Place a pat of butter on top of each steak, and put the skillet in the oven. Set the timer for 6 minutes for a perfect medium-rare.
7. Transfer the steaks to a plate. Cover in aluminum foil and let them rest for 10 minutes. This ensures that all of the delicious juices stay where they belong – inside the steaks! And they’ll continue to cook a bit more, too.
8. Serve immediately, preferably with your favorite wine.
For a once-in-a-while treat, nothing beats a buttery, melt-in-your-mouth filet. It’s so simple you don’t even need a recipe. It is so simple that you’re going to be dumbfounded when you sink your teeth into one of these beautiful browned crust delicious steaks. So if the future of your relationship status depended on one meal and one meal only, cooking up these steaks better than any steakhouse, is the real way to a man’s heart.