Poached Figs with Orange and Ginger
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh ginger root slice||1 , quarter size|
1) Rinse the figs and drain them.
2) In a small saucepan, put the orange juice and water.
3) Add the figs and ginger root, let the liquid boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
4) When figs are plump, remove from the pan and slice into quarters.
5) Again boil and reduce the liquid in pan by half.
6) Strain liquid to remove orange pulp and ginger root.
7) Again put the quartered figs back into the syrup.
8) Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled, in the syrup by themselves, or with pound cake and sour cream.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 137 Calories from Fat 5
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.56 g0.86%
Saturated Fat 0.08 g0.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4.7 mg0.2%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.7%
Sugars 25.8 g
Protein 2 g3.9%
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 104.2%
Calcium 6.6% Iron 5.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet