Tasty Fig Bars
|Butter stick||4 Ounce, softened|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon, grated|
|Dried figs||8 Ounce|
|Almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Apricot preserves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon zest||2 Teaspoon, grated|
1. In a medium bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Beat in egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.
2. Add flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt and beat on low speed until dough is smooth, scraping down side of bowl frequently with a rubber spatula. Divide dough in half. Wrap and refrigerate both pieces of dough at least 30 minutes, or until firm enough to handle.
3. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine dried figs, almonds, apricot preserves, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cinnamon. Process until finely chopped. Set fig filling aside.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Between pieces of wax paper, roll out half of dough to make a 12 x 6-inch rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Spoon half of fig filling in a 2-inch strip down length of dough rectangle. Lift sides of dough over filling and overlap; pinch to seal. Repeat with remaining half of dough and filling.
5. Place rolls, seam side down, on lightly greased baking sheet. Pinch ends shut. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until edges of rolls are golden brown. Let cool 2 minutes on sheets, then remove to racks and let cool completely. Cut each roll into 12 bars. Store in a tightly covered container.