Party's abound! But what do you take? How about.... Cashew Brittle!!! In today's show, Kat Curlee shows you how to make a simple and easy Cashew Brittle that's perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas and any holiday party. And you get to use your microwave!
1 Cup (16 tbs)
White corn syrup
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs) (Cashews used but its your choice)
1. Roughly chop the nuts. Use a large knife to cut up the large nuts into smaller pieces. No need to finely mince them.
2. Spray a cookie sheet with PAM or grease it with oil or butter.
3. In a microwave safe bowl, combine the sugar and corn syrup and stir until blended.
4. Cook the mixture in the microwave, at a high setting for 4 minutes. Stir the mixture after the first 2 minutes of cooking and then continue to cook for the remaining 2 minutes.
5. Add the nuts and stir in well.
6. Return the bowl to the microwave and cook for another 3 minutes until it is light brown.
7. Quickly stir in the vanilla and butter and cook for 2 more minute.
8. Remove the dish from the microwave and make sure to wear your oven mitts and quickly stir in the soda until it gets all frothy. Stir for about half a minute.
9. Pour the mixture carefully into the greased cookie sheet and spread with a rubber spatula.
10. Allow it to cool and become hard.
11. Break into pieces and pack into a jar or box.
Be brave. Use any nut that makes you sing!
Keep a close watch on the mixture after you stir in the nuts. It should not get too brown.
Got a party you have been invited and you've got less time to cook than you ever thought, this will take not more than 10 minutes to put together. You don't want to miss it. This cashew brittle is a twist on the peanut brittle. No candy thermometers or fancy pots and pans. You can use your microwave to make this no-fail candy that is perfect for the holiday season.