Golden Grilled Broiled Sponge
|Butter||1 Ounce, softened|
|Demerara sugar||1 Ounce|
|Walnuts||1 Ounce, chopped|
|Canned pineapple chunks||9 Ounce, drained and finely chopped|
|For victoria sandwich|
|Caster sugar||8 Ounce|
|Self raising flour||8 Ounce|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Strawberry jam/Raspberry jam||4 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Grease 2 loose bottomed sandwich tins of 8-inches each. Use non-stick baking parchment to line the bases.
3) Into a large bowl, add the margarine or butter, eggs, sugar, flour and baking powder. Beat well for about 2 minutes, till the ingredients have mixed well together.
4) Evenly divide the mixture between the prepared tins. With a plastic spatula or the back of a spoon, level the surface.
5) Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, till the cakes are well risen and golden in color. The cakes-' tops should spring right back when lightly pressed with a finger.
6) Let the cakes cool for a few minutes in the tins. Around the edges, run a blunt or palette knife to loosen the cakes-' sides. Turn out onto a wire rack, take off the paper and cool completely.
7) With the jam, sandwich the two cooled cakes together. Sprinkle with caster sugar.
8) To make the frosting, in a bowl, beat together the sugar and butter till well mixed.
9) Add the nuts and pineapple and stir well. Spread the mixture all over the cake.
10) Under a preheated broiler, put the cake for about 5 minutes, till the top is golden brown.
11) If you wish to freeze the cake, flash freeze it first and then pack in a freezer bag. Seal, label and store in the freezer.
12) To serve without freezing, place the cake on a decorative serving platter and serve as a dessert. If using frozen cake, first remove wrappings and thaw at room temperature for about 3 to 4 hours. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled. Makes a good dessert.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4413 Calories from Fat 2171
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 248 g380.8%
Saturated Fat 139.3 g696.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1394.5 mg464.8%
Sodium 3999.4 mg166.6%
Total Carbohydrates 503 g167.8%
Dietary Fiber 10.1 g40.5%
Sugars 323.7 g
Protein 54 g108.2%
Vitamin A 147.1% Vitamin C 17.8%
Calcium 169.8% Iron 90.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet