Artichokes with Tarragon Butter
|Olive oil/Salad oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), split|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried tarragon||1 Tablespoon|
1) Trim artichoke stems from the base; cut a 1-inch slice from tops.
2) Remove discolored leaves; trim spike ends.
3) In cold water, wash the artichokes, drain them.
4) In large kettle, place 3 quarts water with 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon slices, bay leaves, garlic, salt, and pepper.
5) Boil the mixture and add the cut and trimmed artichokes to the boiling liquid.
6) Make the heat low; simmer, covered, 40 to 45 minutes, or until artichoke bases feel soft.
7) Take out the artichokes and drain them well.
8) Meanwhile, to make Tarragon Butter: In a small bowl, combine butter, olive oil, lemon juice, and tarragon until thoroughly mixed.
9) On individual plates, place artichoke and small cup of sauce.
10) To eat, pull the leaves out, one at a time, and dip in sauce.
11) Discard prickly artichokes.
Calories 566 Calories from Fat 393
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 45 g68.7%
Saturated Fat 17.6 g87.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 60.5 mg20.2%
Sodium 812.2 mg33.8%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.4%
Dietary Fiber 19.3 g77.3%
Sugars 3.6 g
Protein 12 g25%
Vitamin A 18.8% Vitamin C 89.5%
Calcium 21.3% Iron 33.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet