Artichokes with Tarragon Butter
|Olive oil/Salad oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), split|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried tarragon||1 Tablespoon|
1) Trim artichoke stems from the base; cut a 1-inch slice from tops.
2) Remove discolored leaves; trim spike ends.
3) In cold water, wash the artichokes, drain them.
4) In large kettle, place 3 quarts water with 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon slices, bay leaves, garlic, salt, and pepper.
5) Boil the mixture and add the cut and trimmed artichokes to the boiling liquid.
6) Make the heat low; simmer, covered, 40 to 45 minutes, or until artichoke bases feel soft.
7) Take out the artichokes and drain them well.
8) Meanwhile, to make Tarragon Butter: In a small bowl, combine butter, olive oil, lemon juice, and tarragon until thoroughly mixed.
9) On individual plates, place artichoke and small cup of sauce.
10) To eat, pull the leaves out, one at a time, and dip in sauce.
11) Discard prickly artichokes.