Tart Apple Butter
|Tart apples||2 Pound|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sweet cider||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 , freshly squeezed|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon, freshly grated|
1. Sterilize 2 large preserve jars or bottles with tight fitting lids
2. Wash apples well.
3. Without coring or peeling, slice the apples thinly.
4. Place apple slices in a heavy bottomed saucepan and add water.
5. Place pan on medium heat and bring to a boil.
6. Cover pan and let the apples simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until they are soft and mushy.
7. In the meantime, add cider to a small saucepan and heat on a low flame, simmering until it is reduced to about 6 tablespoons. Set aside.
8. When apples are cooked, drain water and puree them by pressing them through a fine meshed sieve.
9. Return the apple puree to the sauce pan and stir in reduced cider, lemon juice, sugar and spices.
10. Cook, over low heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
11. Let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often, until apple mixture is thick and viscous like jam.
12. Spoon the mixture into hot, sterilized jars and seal while hot.
13. Store in a cool dry place.
14. Use apple butter as required in cooking or serve as an accompaniment.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1627 Calories from Fat 8
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.89 g1.4%
Saturated Fat 0.42 g2.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 43.1 mg1.8%
Total Carbohydrates 423 g141.1%
Dietary Fiber 20.3 g81.3%
Sugars 342.6 g
Protein 0.89 g1.8%
Vitamin A 0.6% Vitamin C 2217.2%
Calcium 60.9% Iron 3.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet