1. Pour the heavy cream into an air tight container; ensure there is good air space.
2. Add salt put the lid and shake it hard for 10 minutes.
3. This step will go through several stages, whipped cream consistency and finally thick.
4. Once done and you reach the desired consistency, pour out the whey and save the butter.
5. Press the butter with the back of a spoon and let the excess whey drain out.
6. What you should be left is with a thick solid butter.
7. You can store the butter in the refrigerator for one week.
8. Add herbs and spices if desired.
9. Serve the homemade butter over toasted warm bread.