|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Grated gouda cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||2 , beaten|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Fine dry breadcrumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg whites||2 , beaten|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
1. Preheat oil to 375°F before frying.
2. Add butter to a saucepan and melt it. Add flour, blend well and take off from heat. Gradually, beating continuously, add milk. Mix in egg yolks and cheese. Place back on heat and stir continuously to melt cheese. Take care not to overcook cheese.
3. Take off from heat. Add cayenne, pepper, a dash of port [optional] and salt to taste.
4. Transfer to a baking dish and allow to chill overnight till mixture can be handled easily.
5. Take out the next day and shape into 12 croquettes. Roll on crumbs to coat well. Immerse in beaten egg whites and coat with crumbs again. Keep aside to dry for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Add to hot oil and deep fry for 6 minutes, turning halfway through, till croquettes turn golden brown. Transfer to paper towels to drain excess oil.
7. Serve hot with mustard.