Poha (Atukulu) Upma
Poha (Thick) - 3 cups
Onions - 1 medium sized chopped
Potato - 1 medium sized cut into pieces (optional)
Tomato - 1 medium sized chopped (optional)
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Hing - a pinch
Turmeric - a pinch
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Channa dal - 1/2 tsp
Green chillies: 1-2 (depending on spice level)
Curry leaves - 4-5
Remember to use ONLY thick poha for this upma. Do NOT use thin poha, as it will become a paste, and you will not like the consistency of the upma at all.
1. Soak poha in water for 1 minute. Drain all the water and keep it aside.
2. Heat 2-3 tsps of oil in a wok.
3. Add mustard seeds. Let them splutter. Add hing, turmeric, urad dal, channa dal, green chillies, curry leaves and fry till the dal starts to turn brown.
4. Add onions and saute till it turns almost transparent.
5. Add potatoes. Saute for 2 mts.
6. Add tomatoes. Saute for a min.
7. Add salt to taste and close the lid, and turn the heat to medium. Keep stirring in between to prevent charring.
8. Once the potatoes are cooked, add the soaked poha and mix well.
9. Garnish with finely chopped coriander.
Serve it alone or with Yogurt. You may add the juice of half a lime at the very end.