Watercress Leaf Benefits
Watercress leaf is one of the oldest known leafy vegetables eaten by human beings. This green leafy vegetable is an aquatic or semi-aquatic plant native to central Asia and Europe. Latest scientific reports prove that it is a potent candidate for anti-cancer treatments especially in women. Let us see what the other watercress leaf benefits…are
Health Benefits of Watercress Leaf
- Watercress is a storehouse of nutrients. It contains calcium, iron, folic acid along with vitamins A and C.
- It is a source of antioxidants and phytochemcials.
- Watercress leaves are an excellent expectorant, digestive aid, and diuretic.
- It is very effective against lung cancer as well as breast cancer.
- It has very high amounts of iodine and hence contributes towards strengthening of thyroid gland.
- It helps in preventing several heart diseases due to the presence of lutein and zea-xanthin.
- Fresh watercress leaf juice is good for treating asthma, bronchitis, and colds.
Culinary Uses of Watercress Leaf
Watercress leaves benefits are at par with spinach, cabbage, and broccoli. It is low in calories and filled with nutrients. The leaves of watercress can be consumed raw. Just chop and add to salads, dressing or blend to make a juice. It is a valuable winter salad vegetable. The leaves impart a peppery flavor to dishes. In Ireland, it is boiled with bacon while traditionally it was used for garnishing parsnips. Toss these leaves with sliced mushrooms and stir fry for a lovely dish. Alternately, these leaves can be served with grilled meats and braised chicken. Mince the leaves and add it to crepe batter or butters. These can also be added to soufflés and mousses. Chinese cuisine uses watercress leaves in soups, broths, and stir-fries of chicken and meat. Leaves of watercress are the traditional sandwich stuffing for the English, especially finger sandwiches.
Watercress leaf has many different types of benefits and the best way to enjoy this green leafy vegetable is to include it more frequently in your daily diet. Therefore, what are you waiting for; get your grocery-shopping list ready!
Image credit: boonecountyymca.blogspot.com