Lemon Myrtle Leaf Benefits
553092-lemon-myrtle-leaf-have-many-benefits.lemon-myrtleLemon Myrtle leaf is a spice native to coastal Australia. It has a citrus like aroma and is mostly used as a flavoring agent in Australian cuisine. The lemon myrtle leaves belong to the Australian tree – Backhousia citriodora and are now used in production of essential oils, tea, etc. It is a mainstream additive in a wide range of products like yogurt, soaps, teas, marinades etc. Let us see what the lemon myrtle leaf benefits are…
Health Benefits of Lemon Myrtle Leaf
- Lemon myrtle contains essential oils that have analgesic, expectorant, astringent, anticonvulsant, and hair toning properties.
- They contain high amounts of citral and hence are used in alternative medicine to treat sinus infections, fatigue, bronchitis, influenza, common cold, indigestion, sore throat, athlete’s foot, acne, headaches, itching, dental infections, allergies, and gastrointestinal disorders.
- Lemon myrtle leaves have antimicrobial and anti fungal properties.
- They can fight infections caused by bacteria like Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Clostridium etc.
- They are good for cramps, spasms, fevers, and rheumatism.
- Gastrointestinal disorders can find relief with lemon myrtle leaf.
Culinary Uses of Lemon Myrtle Leaf
Lemon myrtle leaf is used whole, dried or ground in Australian cuisine. It is best used in marinades, poultry, and rice dishes. The taste of this herb is such that it resembles citrus fruit but cleverly lacks acidity; hence, it can be used in recipes that contain milk or cream. It does not cause curdling of dairy products. On the same lines, lemon myrtle cannot tolerate extended time of cooking; if done so lemon flavor disappears replacing it with a eucalyptus flavor. Thus, these leaves are best used to flavor ice creams, cookies, sorbets, stir-fries, pasta, grilled meats, fish, dense cakes, and roasts. Lemon myrtle leaf can be added to spice rubs and marinades for fish and poultry, salad dressings, dips and flavored vinegars. They can be steeped in hot water to get lemon myrtle tea too!
Lemon myrtle leaf benefits are numerous and including this in your daily diet can help you reap them.
Image credit: floreznursery.blogspot.com