Side Effects Of Amla
Side effects of amla are very difficult to think of as the fruit is a powerhouse of several health benefits. Being a potent source of Vitamin C, and having excellent antioxidant properties, the fruit has a very important place in Ayurvedic and Unani Medicine. Its intake is supposed to rejuvenate the entire organ system and provide wellness and strength to the body. Because of such health benefits, very less is known about its side effects. However, if we go in-depth, we would find something unhealthy in Amla consumption; read further to know about them.
Side Effects Associated With Different Preparations Of Amla
It’s a well known fact that amla if taken in raw form is devoid of any side effects. But the tartness of the fruit makes it difficult to be taken directly. So, it is eaten in different forms which are associated with some side effects. Let’s have a look on them.
- Murabba: Amla murabba or Indian gooseberry preserve is relished by many. However the high sugar content in this condiment makes it highly dangerous for diabetics.
- Pickle: Amla pickle is the best way to store and relish the fruit round the year. However, due to the high salt content in this dish it is contraindicated for people with weak kidneys and high blood pressure.
- Triphala Churna: Amla along with two other herbs are used in making triphala churna but pregnant women should avoid it.
Side Effects Associated With Excessive Intake Of Vitamin C Through Amla
One may suffer from following ailments if excessive intake of Vitamin C occurs due to amla consumption:
- Formation of kidney stones
- Burning sensation during urination
Heart Patients Need To Be Cautious
Amla doesn’t have any negative impact on the heart but individuals suffering from any heart ailment should consult a doctor before regularly taking amla. This is because; amla is known to stimulate the heart so it may cause some problem in such individuals.
Thus, we have explored some of the side effects of amla, which are not directly related to it but one can suffer from them if necessary precautions are not taken. It’s a divine berry, so the ill effects are not worrisome, you are just required to remain cautious to enjoy multitude of health benefits associated with this fruit.
Image Credit: ifood.tv