Facts About Global Warming
How To Help Stop Global Warming
Do Your Part to Fight Climate Change!
What is Global Warming?
The Earth as an ecosystem is changing, attributable in great part to the effects of globalization and man. More carbon dioxide is now in the atmosphere than has been in the past 650,000 years. This carbon stays in the atmosphere, acts like a warm blanket, and holds in the heat — hence the name ‘global warming.’
Global Warming is scary and can seem extremely overwhelming! However, each of us has a part, however small, in stopping climate change. By reducing your carbon footprint, or how much your activities contribute to global warming, you can do your part to stop it. Remember that your activities can contribute both directly and indirectly to global warming.
How to stop Global Warming?
1. Reduce the energy you use for heating and cooling. You've heard it before -- keep your house cooler in the winter and warmer in the summer. By reducing the energy used for heat and air conditioning, you are not only saving energy and reducing your carbon footprint, but also saving money!
2. Use a programmable thermostat. By automatically reducing the amount of heat or air conditioning used while you are sleeping, you can reduce your carbon footprint and save money, without any extra effort.
3. Recycle. It gets easier every day.
4. Drive less. The rising price of gas makes this option an attractive one! Carpool when you can, ride your bike, walk, or take public transportation. Again, isn't it nice when you can help stop global warming and save money?
5. Drive a more fuel-efficient car. If you have to drive, drive a hybrid, or at least a fuel-efficient car, which contribute less to global warming.
6. Plant trees. Planting trees and other plants native to your area can help counter global warming and deforestation.
7. Buy Energy Star appliances. Energy Star appliances must meet minimum energy efficiency standards, reducing your carbon footprint!
8. Use compact fluorescent light bulbs. These light bulbs last longer than incandescent bulbs, and use less energy, combating global warming.
9. Clean filters on your air conditioner and furnace. Dirty air filters decrease energy efficiency, while clean ones increase energy efficiency.
10. Hang your clothes out to dry. Try using a clothesline instead of a dryer when weather permits. In addition to helping the fight against global warming, you will have clothes that smell fresh from being in the sunshine!
11. Turn off and unplug unused appliances. "Vampire" appliances are appliances that use electricity even while they are turned off or not being used. Make sure you turn off -- and better yet, unplug -- your VCR, toaster, printer, and any other appliances that are not being used.
A rapid transition to energy efficiency and renewable energy sources will combat global warming, protect human health, create new jobs, protect habitat and wildlife, and ensure a secure, affordable energy future.
There are many more ways that you can help stop global warming! Check out these other ideas to fight global warming and spread the word! The more of us that join in the fight against global warming, the better the news is to Save Our Planet – Our Home!