What Are The Properties Of Carbohydrates?
It might take a whole day in listing down the properties of carbohydrates. Well, I must try to brief up my writing with some of the handpicked properties of carbohydrates which are worth mentioning. Carbohydrates are the most abundant from of bio macromolecule present in almost every organic material you might know. Carbohydrates are processed as a byproduct of hardly any use by plants, but it is an essential dietary commodity for animals for sustenance of life. Myriads of roles are played by carbohydrates ranging from digestion, absorptions, synthesis of biological molecules, formation of DNA, to storage of proteins and lipids. To enlighten ourselves more of the facts related to the properties of carbohydrates, let us dig deeper.
What is Carbohydrates?
Carbohydrates are nothing but simple organic macromolecules which is made up of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen in various combination. Carbohydrates are rife in all the foods you consume which include barns, oats, rice, wheat, potatoes, all the sugary fruits, milk, cheese, and others. The list is endless. The question arises that why are we so much dependent upon carbohydrate consumption? The answer is simple, we need energy to stay awake, we need energy to do our daily work outs, we need energy to entertain, we need energy to do anything we wish to. This on the spot supply of energy comes from carbs rich diets. Hold on we are surrounded by the myth that excess of carbs rich diet will be detrimental but that is not true till you keep check on your supplements. Carbohydrate inadequacy might give you deadly combination of bad health and fatigue.
Properties of Carbohydrates
- Carbohydrates are one of the integral parts of our cell membrane and also maintain the shape and structure of our cells. Without it, we might end up with cell flaccidity. Cholesterol is one form of carbohydrate which does this for our cells.
- Carbohydrates are important as storage product. Some of the simple carbohydrates like sugars are not consumed but stored in our muscles and liver to use it for future purpose.
- Carbohydrates slow down the digestion process and keep you free from hunger pangs. This can be helpful in achieving slim, trim body with no risk of obesity related diseases.
- Carbohydrates are known to melt down the fats if you stick to that insoluble dietary fiber intake. This is the indication of good physique, with level of good cholesterol surging up. So, it is good for your heart.
- Carbohydrates are great immunity boosters. Regular intake will entail keeping you away from grumpy mood fluctuations, and activate the healthy immune cells to fight common ailments.
- Carbohydrates have ingrained property of getting digested and assimilated in slow fashion. This has got its own benefits. Body will recover soon from any sort of illness during this course, and you gain a trimmed waistline.
Given so many properties of carbohydrates, you can now get rid of myth that carbs are bad for you, in fact they can so good to your health!
Image credit; ifood.tv