10 Things To Know About Sake - Which You May Not Have Known
What are the things to know ab
out sake? Did you know sake is a Japanese drink? If you’ve seen Akira Kurosawa movies, sake will make more sense to you since this was the only drink available in the feudal era. Now, do you want to know more about sake? Here are 10 things to know about sake.
- Sake is a Japanese rice wine and has a very distinct taste.
- There are 5 basic types of sake: Junmai-shu, Honjozo-shu, Ginjo-shu, Daiginjo-shu , and Namazake.
- Sake is rice wine with about 15-17% alcohol content.
- There are 65 varieties of rice that can be used to brew sake.
- Among many things to know about sake, here’s an important one; quality sake has a taste that’s well-balanced. But if your sake has a strong flavor, trust it to be not top notch quality.
- Generally, sake is a transparent drink and this transparency is due to filtering. But sake that hasn’t undergone much filtering will have better flavour and comes in light amber or gold. But if the sake is brown, it is best avoided.
- It takes a month to brew sake and another six months to age the drink.
- Sake is light and hangover free. It is sulfites-free too and the premium sake will not have additives or preservatives.
- Chilled sake tastes the best. But one can choose to drink it warm. However, never drink sake that’s served hot. It is usually the cheaper quality sake that’s heated up.
- There are a lot more things to know about sake. But here’s one that will help you pair up this drink with food. Sake is a great accompaniment with fish and also with crispy, flavorsome snacks.
Well, hope you got to know more about sake with my list of 10 things about this wonderful drink. For more information on this exotic drink do refer to our other articles on this topic.
Image Credit: atthepass.wordpress.com