Top 10 Vegetable Gratins - The Make-Ahead Dish
Originated from French cuisine, gratin is a culinary technique in which ingredients like grated cheese, butter and breadcrumbs are topped on a browned crust. You can make a variety of gratin in advance and enjoy your mealtime with your guests and family. Here are top 10 vegetable gratin – the make-ahead dish for you.
1. Kale and potato gratin is a nutritious yet delicious side-dish often served during fall. Shredded kale with potato is a delicious start to cool nights.
2. Swiss Chard Gartin is another recipe that is simple to make and can perfectly feed a big crowd.
3. Gratin savoyard is another variety in which layered slices of potatoes are dipped into Beaufort cheese, butter bits and bouillon. It is a specialty of Dauphine’s neighboring region Savoie in France.
4. Cover eggplant and tomato with breadcrumbs and oil to make Gratin Languedocien - a vegetarian gratin dish similar to the Italian dish called melanzane alla parmigiana. You can also try it with cauliflower, spinach and butternut squash.
5. Crisp-tender cauliflower when added with Brussels Sprout Gratin and delicious topping of Pine Nut-Breadcrumb - simply tastes awesome.
6. Gratin dauphinois is a specialty of France where potatoes are thinly sliced and layered in a buttered dish. Sometimes eggs are also mixed with cream.
7. Serve mouth-watering sweet potato and sage gratin, dipped in layers of cream and caramelized onions, beneath a crunchy Parmesan crust.
8. How will you resist a preparation made of white and light-green parts of leek dipped in grated Pecorino Romano cheese with heavy cream. It is no sin to sample it while making this delicious leek Gratin.
9. One of the most popular vegetarian gratin dishes is a potato gratin. It is quite famous in North America where the dish is referred to potatoes au gratin or scalloped potatoes. Australians refer it as potato bake or scalloped potatoes, while Canadians call it pommes de terre au gratin.
10. Potatoes are mixed with celery root, garlic, onion, cheese and parsley stalks to make what is called as celeriac gratin dish – yummy dish for vegetarian eaters.