Chickpea Ideas ("khandvi")
I love chickpeas in any form whether as dahl or as besan flour for various dishes.Chickpea Flour Rolls ("khandvi")Chickpea Flour Rollsby Anupama
from India Recipe Story
A very very traditional dish from Western India. Looks difficult to make but easy enough with the help of a pressure cooker. I completely dedicate this to my Aai(mom) who had absolute faith in my abilities to make it.
Servings: 6 to 7 rolls
Level of difficulty: Intermediate
For the outer roll:
1 cup chick pea flour (besan),
1.5 tspn plain flour,
1 cup buttermilk,
1 cup water,
6 to 7 cloves garlic,
3 green chillies, I use more-shantihhh says)
1 tspn salt,
1/4 tspn turmeric powder
For the filling:
3/4 cup grated fresh coconut,
3/4 cup fresh coriander finely chopped,
1 tspn powdered sugar,
salt to taste
For the tempering:
3 tblspns oil,
1 tspn mustard seeds,
1/2 tspn asafoetida,
7 to 8 curry leaves (shantihhh says should be fresh)
1. In a grinder crush the garlic ,chillies and salt together.
2. In a mixing bowl mix the besan,plain flour, water ,buttermilk, and the crushed garlic-chilli paste very well. Give it a taste to check if you need more salt or chilly.
3. Strain this mixture as we need a smooth batter .
4. Cook the batter in a pressure cooker for upto 3 whistles or for as long as it takes you to cook rice and dal in your pressure cooker.(Every pressure cooker differs a bit here and there)
5. In the meanwhile prepare the filling by mixing the grated coconut and coriander, sugar and salt and keep ready. Also keep 5 steel or melamine plates at hand to spread the batter.
6. To the cooked batter add about 3 tblspns of hot water to loosen it up a bit and give it a brisk stir.
7 Immediately while the batter it still hot start spreading it evenly onto the plates like shown in the pic below. Keep your strokes in one direction only to get it evenly done. This needs to be done very fast.
8.After finishing all the batter mark out rows with a knife or a pizza cutter,
9.Now spread the coconut filling on the batter on the marked rows .
10.And now comes the best part. Start rolling the wadis like shown in the pic below. They roll beautifully. Please do not oil the plates initially. Place all the wadis vertically close to each other in a container.
11.For the tempering heat the oil in a small wok or kadhai.
12.Add the mustard ,asafoetida and curry leaves.
13.Spoon the tempering into each of the vertically placed wadis.
To serve garnish them with some of the coconut and coriander mixture and spoon any left tempering all over.
So what do you think? Are you game? What are your favourite chickpea recipes? Please share them as they are so healthy, fiber and low calorie.http://uktv.co.uk/food/peoplescookbook/recipe/aid/592081