Interesting Facts About Oil
· Oils extracted from a single vegetable species are known as pure
· The label vegetable indicates that they are a mixture
· Most oils sold in shops have been refined, with the result that their original flavour and smell have been removed leaving them quite neutral
· It is still possible to find unrefined oil which have been obtained by cold pressing, these are termed virgin or natural oils and they retain the taste of their vegetable origin e.g. olive oil.
· In general a distinction is made between oils used for frying and seasoning and seasoning only
· In oils for frying and seasoning linolenic (a harmful, foul smelling substance released when oil is heated above 250 degree) acid content must be lower than 20 percent.
Image Credit- carreni.blogspot.com