Celery root, also known as celeriac, is a brown root vegetable that is knobby in shape and has an ivory white interior. Its flavour falls between parsley and celery and ranges in size from an apple to a cantaloupe.
What to look for when selecting look for firm, smooth-skinned celery root that is heavy for its size, avoid any with soft spots.
How to store Store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to two weeks
How to prepare
Its easier to peel celery root with a knife than a peeler.
To do so, cut a slice off both ends of the root so that it stands straight.
Following the curve of the root, to cut off the brownish skin which will expose the white flesh.
If you dont use celery root as soon as you peel and cut it, it will discolour.
To avoid this, soak it in acidulated water (1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar per cup of water) for a few minutes.
You can prepare celery root in a variety of ways, including boiling, deep-frying, roasting, steaming, or enjoy it raw its a great addition to a veggie platter or salad!
Whats the difference between Celery and Celery Root Celery root or celeriac and celery are members of the same family of vegetables, but celery root is not the root of the vegetable you buy called celery.
Celery root is cultivated for its root or base instead of for its stalk or leaves.
Raw celery is crunchy and wet whereas raw celery root has a texture similar to turnips or carrots. Cooked celery root can take on a smooth velvety texture.
- Try grating your celery root into a salad or add it to soup.
- Celery root can also be cooked and pureed as a side, like you would serve mashed potatoes.
- Celery root is done cooking when it is soft, just like a potato.
- Try substituting celery root for half the potato in a mashed or scalloped potato dish.
- Grocery stores will usually label it celery root or celeriac.