Kiev cake, also called as Kyiv cake is a branded cake which was first manufactured by Karl Marx Confectionery in Kiev city, Ukraine on December 6, 1956. It soon became very popular all over Russia. It is a layered dessert made of meringue and a buttercream filling. The cake icing generally depicts the coat of arms of kiev.
Kiev cake is considered as a symbol of Kiev city.
Ingredients and Preparation
The Kiev cake typically consists of layers of meringue, buttercream filling and nuts.
Meringue – The main ingredients used for making the meringue are - egg whites, powdered sugar, cream of tartar and corn flour. Egg whites and cream of tartar are mixed together and whisked till a soft peak stage is reached. Gradually, sugar is added and beaten till stiff and glossy. It is spread in a baking dish and baked at 180 degrees C for about 45 – 50 minutes.
Buttercream- the ingredients used for the preparation of buttercream are - egg yolks, sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa powder. A thick custard is made using egg yolks, sugar and milk. It is cooled and the mixture is beaten at high speed along with butter and cocoa.
Assembling – Alternate layers of meringue, buttercream and crushed, toasted hazelnuts are placed. It is garnished with chocolate glaze.
· Kiev cake is served as a dessert.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1 piece (100 g)
Calories – 250 cal, Fat – 13 g, Protein – 7 g, Carbohydrates – 25 g, Sugars – 25 g
· Kiev cake is high in calories. Maximum calories are contributed by fat and sugars.
· It is a good source of protein. Protein are the building blocks of the body. They help to build the new tissues and help to promote the growth of the body.
· The calorific value of the cake can be reduced by replacing sugar with zero calories sweeteners. This even makes the dish fit for the consumption of people suffering from diabetes.
· High calorie and high fat dishes should be avoided by people suffering from cardiovascular diseases. Fat can be reduced by not using egg yolks and also replacing butter in butter cream with whipped cream or sour cream.
· Hazelnut is a good source of antioxidants. It helps to protect the body from free radical damage. It also delays the ageing process and makes the skin look younger. It is also a rich source of omega – 3 fatty acids.